Australia: ELICOS makes “remarkable recovery”

 In News

The ELICOS sector had the highest volume increase in commencements and enrolments of any education sector in Australia in 2022, according to the 2022 ELICOS Market Analysis by English Australia.

ELICOS enrolments increased by 89.6%, while the sector gained 44,680 commencements, closely followed by the higher education sector, which had the second highest increase of 41,026 commencements.


Source: English Australia Market Analysis 2022

“The ELICOS sector has made a remarkable recovery in 2022, as captured in the Department of Education’s data, with annual growth in commencements of 155.4%,” said Brett Blacker, CEO, English Australia.

“This represented the highest volume increase in commencements of any education sector in Australia and is 63% back on 2019 figures.”

At the same time, ELICOS lodgements have exceeded pre-pandemic levels and are now at their highest ever, and over nine times higher than 2021, with 56,492 visas lodged in 2022.

According to Blacker, this reflects the sentiment that “international students are keener than ever” to study in Australia.

“It also proves that not only did our sector rebound after the pandemic, it has become even stronger. This gives us great hopes for what 2023, the year that English Australia is celebrating our 40th anniversary, will bring to the international education scene in Australia.”

“Throughout 2022, we have seen an ever-increasing number of students applying for visas from our original top source countries, including Colombia and Brazil, as well as from new locations, such as Spain, Thailand and Chile.”

Commencements from Colombia increased by 286.5% with 9,414 additional students, meanwhile commencements from Brazil increased by 419.3% with an additional 7,270 students.

Spain continues to increase commencements, with a year-to-date increase of 724.4% in December.

Of the 157 nationalities with commencements for year-to-date December, 44.6% came from the top three source nations – Colombia,Thailand and Brazil. The top 10 nationalities contributed 77.5% of all commencements and the remaining 147 nations contributed 22.5%.


Source: English Australia Market Analysis 2022

“We are even seeing an increase in students from China, despite their country’s battle with Covid-19 and its strict lockdowns,” said Blacker.

Commencements from China increased by 15.5% with 1,290 additional students versus year-to-date December 2021. Chinese students therefore made up 13.1% of commencements within ELICOS.

Justin Blake, CEO, BROWNS English Language School, told The PIE that the English language provider, with campuses in Brisbane and the Gold Coast, is “primed” to welcome back students from China.

The Chinese market, for us, I think is going to be a significant one

“The Chinese market, for us, I think is going to be a significant one,” said Blake.

While the data paints a positive picture for ELICOS, Blacker acknowledged there are still challenges being faced by education institutions as he highlighted the ongoing nation-wide accommodation shortage and teacher shortages, and the implications of the impending deadline of June 30 for a return to compliance with the ESOS National Code.

“But I think we have proven that the sector is able to tackle its challenges head-on and come out on top,” Blacker said.

“I’m happy to see that grant rates have stabilised at the end of 2022, after significant issues with processing delays and an increase in rejections throughout the year.”

The post Australia: ELICOS makes “remarkable recovery” appeared first on The PIE News.

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt
Generated by Feedzy