Tips to stay healthy during the winter
Winter is finally here and for some of you it is a totally new experience. In the UK the winter lasts from November to February. Here are some tips to keep yourself safe and healthy during the winter:
- Keep yourself warm by layering your clothes and buy a warm overcoat or raincoat and shoes for the winter.
- Get enough sleep: during winter we have longer nights, which is natures way of hibernating our bodies to conserve heat.
- Consume a lot of dairy products; they are a great source of protein and vitamins A and B12. Also they contain fat, which is essential to keep your body warm.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables: When it’s cold and dark outside, it can be tempting to fill up on unhealthy comfort food, but it’s important to ensure you still have a healthy diet and include five portions of fruit and veg a day.
- Don’t use the cold winter months as an excuse to stay in and lounge around. Instead try new activities such as running or cycling. Regular exercise helps control your weight, boost your immune system, and is a good way to break the tension that can build if you are constantly cooped up inside the room.
- Winter is the perfect season for porridge. Eating a warm bowlful on a cold morning isn’t just a delicious way to start your day, it also helps boost your intake of starchy foods and fibre.
- Lastly, try to ensure that the rooms you live in are warm enough, but be careful not to keep your room too hot, as gas and electricity can be expensive – and it will feel even colder when you do go out.