Staying Safe on a Night Out as a Student in the UK
As a student in the UK, going out at night is a popular pastime, especially on weekends. However, it’s important to take precautions to ensure your safety and that of your friends. Here are some tips to help you stay safe on a night out.
Before You Leave for the Night Out: Tips for Preparation
Before you head out, there are some things you should do to prepare yourself for a good night:
- Make sure your phone is charged.
- If you plan on carrying cash, withdraw it during the day and avoid using cash machines at night.
- Keep your keys, ID, and other valuables somewhere you won’t lose them.
- Don’t keep your wallet in your back pocket.
- Don’t leave your bag unattended.
- Drink alcohol in moderation and be cautious about pre-drinks parties at a friend’s place.
Stay With Friends: Tips for Safety
Sticking with your mates is one of the best ways to stay safe while out. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Use licensed cabs and pre-book your journey to and from town.
- Let your friends know where you’re going.
- Take someone with you when you leave the group.
- Stay in touch with your mates through a group chat.
- Head home together and ensure everyone has a way of getting home.
Drink Safety: Tips for Avoiding Alcohol Risks
Alcohol consumption is a common part of a night out, but it’s important to stay safe while drinking. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Eat before drinking to help your body process the alcohol better.
- Pace out your drinks so you’re not too drunk when it’s time to leave.
- Don’t accept drinks from strangers.
- Stick to one type of drink throughout the night.
- Drink water or soft drinks throughout the night.
- Recognize the signs of drunkenness.
- Help your friends sober up if they’ve had too much to drink.
- Avoid drinking and swimming.
- Don’t collect unattended drinks.
- Don’t consume any unknown substances.
Drink Spiking: Tips for Avoiding Risks
Drink spiking is rare but possible, and it’s important to take precautions. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Keep an eye on your drink and don’t leave it unattended.
- Ask your friends to watch your drink if you need to go to the toilet.
- If you think your drink has been spiked, find a safe spot and notify venue staff.
Respecting Others: Tips for Behaving Appropriately
When you’re out drinking, it’s important to respect others and their boundaries. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Treat everyone with respect.
- Be conscious of how people respond to you.
- Don’t touch someone without their consent.
- If someone is making you uncomfortable, leave them alone.
- If you feel unsafe, let venue staff know.
Getting Home Safe After the Night Out: Tips for Safe Transportation
Getting home safely is crucial after a night out. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Have a plan for getting home.
- Think twice before going home with someone you just met.
- Taking a licensed cab or bus is safer than walking.
Useful Apps and Websites
There are several apps and websites that can help you stay safe on a night out. Here are some of the most popular ones:
- SafeZone: This app allows you to contact your university’s security team in case of an emergency. You can also use it to request first aid, report an incident, or get information on safety tips.
- Citymapper: This app helps you plan your route using public transportation, walking, or cycling. It also provides real-time information on delays and disruptions.
- Uber: This ride-sharing service allows you to request a ride from your phone and track your driver’s location. You can also share your trip details with friends or family for added safety.
- Drinkaware: This website provides information on responsible drinking, including how to stay within the recommended limits and how to recognize the signs of alcohol poisoning.
In conclusion, going out at night can be fun and exciting, but it’s important to take precautions to stay safe. Remember to let someone know where you’re going, stick with your friends, and be aware of your surroundings. Use the apps and websites available to you to plan your route, track your ride, or get help in case of an emergency. By taking these steps, you can enjoy your night out while staying safe and protected.